May 1, 2011
Resin wing sadness - day 47
Positive note first... in theory, the mold worked out great!!
On the Negative... I messed it up!!
Let me count the reasons why...
1. The wire I put in for strength and final attachment to painting shows too much and looks silly
2. Because of the wire, I did 2 layers of resin... so too thick
3. Was careless, and broke a twirly bit while trying to remove excess resin
4. 2nd wing now has bits of tinfoil stuck to it, as the covering tent I put on to protect it collapsed
5. Wing is too bulky for the fairy I painted, I need something very sheer and graceful (though the idea is right, I like the way the painting can be just seen)
So now have 2 odd resin wings that will need to be recommisioned into different things. maybe a shattered wing painting with "I do believe in fairys" as a warning.. or a giant fairy wing brooch/necklace... or just another dust collector in my box of other odd pieces.
But remembering the words of Uncle Gaston (meet the robinsons): If I gave up every time I failed, I would have never invented the meatball cannon.